Agriculture & Nutrition
Ace Africa works with communities towards enabling sustainable agriculture production and ensuring that everyone receives sufficient nutritious food – for the long-term. We provide training in nutrition and in sustainable, organic methods of farming, develop community mentors and provide seeds, tools and technical support at the outset.
Our training and support programmes cover a wide spectrum of farming and nutrition issues.
The direct training and long-term approach promotes the cost-effective sharing of skills with thousands of other households who benefit from improved livelihoods through peer learning.
- WHAT WE DO:
- We provide education in the production of high-value nutritious crops, protein supplementation, water saving and improved agriculture techniques. We also support households and the larger community in developing skills and knowledge to improve their nutrition through the establishment of individual and community/group organic kitchen gardens using water saving and improved agricultural techniques to produce a variety of both indigenous and exotic crops.
- We develop knowledge in cereal banking with the aim of helping groups maximise the production and storage of nutritional supplements to safeguard against drought seasons and exploitation by middlemen.
- We train and develop individuals and community groups in animal husbandry (including poultry; goats; rabbits), to ensure adequate protein supplementation for community households.
- Our start-up packages provide seeds, tools and livestock for small farms – poultry and goats, etc.
- By training people in the effective use of stove liners to reduce firewood collection, optimised fuel consumption and improved hygiene and safety in kitchens, we are making a significant contribution to the enhanced health and well-being of all community members.
Economic empowerment is a key cornerstone of our approach to providing sustainable long-term solutions, which will truly endure. By helping people gain the skills and experience they need to secure economic independence, we are permanently breaking the cycle of dependency that has for so long robbed individuals and communities of the chance to live fulfilling and rewarding lives.
- WHAT WE DO:
- We work with communities, groups and individuals to provide training, education and on-going support across a variety of areas within the remit of Economic Empowerment.
- We help to facilitate the development of micro-enterprises (eg. agriculture, agribusiness) through the provision of start-up finance, materials (e.g. goats, poultry, mills) and business training.
- We provide training on proposal writing, fundraising and marketing, connecting groups with suitable markets for their produce and skills.
- We expand and extend project management skills and entrepreneurship through the provision of training in financial resource management and the establishment of revolving community funds.
- We also identify and engage other sources of long-term funding and support and we train community groups in how to access funds and grants to the best effect and with greatest relevance and benefit to the community.